Vietlish, Vietnaminglish, Vietglish or Vietnamese English, is a strictly informal term for a mixture of elements from Vietnamese and English.
The term Vietlish is first recorded in 1967. Other colloquial portmanteau words for Vietlish include (chronologically): Vietglish (1992), Vinish (2003), Vinglish (2010) and Vietnamiglish (2016).
You Are Watching: Vietglish – Wikipedia
Read More: What does circuit diagram mean?
This usage is said to be found in immigrant communities in majority-English-speaking countries. Borrowed English words are also extensively used in everyday Vietnamese both inside and outside Vietnam in informal contexts.
- Viet Voice Magazine – Very Vietglish
- What are you speaking? Hey, it’s just Vietglish
- ^ Minero, Luis (2006) “Globalização e Expansão Conscienciológica Através dos Idiomas.” Conscientia 10(4):302-316.
- ^ Lambert, James. 2018. A multitude of ‘lishes’: The nomenclature of hybridity. English World-wide, 39(1): 32. DOI: 10.1075/eww.38.3.04lam
- ^ “Vietglish Fun Learn Viet. Learn English. Vietglish”. Vietglish Fun. Retrieved 2021-06-18.